Anthony Smith - Jemina

On Thursday I missed the visit from Anthony Smith so I thought I'd do some research on his work and experience on my own. When checking out his portfolio I mostly focused on his work with TV adverts because they fit into our brief.

He has a really funny tone of voice and does brave things with his scripts. For example, his first TV ad for Nestle was "Yorkie - Not for girls" which could be offensive with the gender gatekeeping but apparently worked really well with raising sales by 200%. The execution was tongue in cheek enough to make it an obvious joke so that probably helped. I find the ad funny ad a creative ad student but if I just saw it as a consumer I wouldn't go buy a Yorkie. But I'm obviously not the target audience for this so it makes sense.

Yorkie ad


Most of his work seems to be based on comedy so they aim to make the audience laugh. That's a good way to stay in a consumers mind, especially if you make it an actual joke they can relate to and use in their everyday life. 

The Cottonelle campaign ads were the least humorous ones in his portfolio and I found them a bit boring compared to his other work. They used the puppy but I feel like the way they included it in the ad could have been done in a more natural way. And the use of twins could have worked in a funny way but I feel like siblings would have been more relatable since there was no actual point in using twins as actors.


Overall I found looking at his work interesting because a lot of them rely on really simple twists that made the ads funny and that will come in handy while working on this brief. I feel like I got some inspiration from his work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The effect of sound - Jemina

Tom Attah - Lydia