FutureRising - Jemina

FutureRising event was on the 7th of March and we had 3 speakers with different backgrounds in the field of advertisement. I found the event really interesting and inspiring, especially Hash Milhan from Adam&Eve. He had a lot of experience in different agencies and never stopped pursuing his goals even when it could have been the easier choice.

He talked about starting off with graphic design, which ended up with him making a lot of banners all the time and getting a bit bored of it. I really respected him for not stopping there but pursuing a career in the creative side and making it happen. When I did my placement in an agency I felt like I was doing a lot of grunt work in graphics, which is fine for now because I need to get the experience, but the idea of ending up doing that for a long time isn't what I want. So when I asked advice on how to get my foot in the door to move from graphics to the creative sound he encouraged to just be straightforward and ask. Simple but good advice, hopefully if I end up in that situation I'll take the advice and be brave enough to ask. I also found it comforting to hear that experience in graphics gives an advantage even when working as a creative because it helps art direct the work.

Another thing I wrote down was a comment that Jonathan Bates make about how to get to show your own persona in your creative work. He said that the most important thing is to gain the clients trust and when you get that you'll have a lot more room to get creative. He also encouraged to stand up and be ready to fight for your ideas when you believe in them. "I'd rather die on my feet and not on my knees."

Overall the day was rewarding and I liked that we got to ask a lot of different questions from people with a lot of experience.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The effect of sound - Jemina

Anthony Smith - Jemina

Tom Attah - Lydia